Saturday, May 28, 2011

Selling Your Car Can Save You Hundreds Each Month

It's been a while since I've written. That's surprising really because I've been thinking a lot about this blog and all the great information and ideas I want to share with you.

Recently, I finally got around to thinking about selling my car again. I've been toying with the idea for several years, but when living in the nation where the automobile was built, it is sometimes difficult to garner support for such a move from friends and loved ones. I know Americans are dependent on their cars because we're still buying gas like it's free-flowing tap water. It's nearly $5.00 a gallon, and many people have yet to break their stride or their dependency on oil and gasoline.

I have been dependent on my car for a long time, too, but I'm beginning to make more use of public transportation, car sharing, biking, and dozens of other alternatives to owning and driving my own car. If I think about it and remain honest with myself, the only time I use my car these days is when I'm feeling lazy or when I want to do something at the spur of the moment. Yet, as I continue to research alternatives to driving, I am beginning to find that there are even options available that can counter both my occassional laziness and the impromptu errand to the other side of town.

The next few posts will explore the journey I'm taking to sell my car and whether at the end of it all I'll actually do it. I think I will though, and I'll walk you through the process.

The most compelling reason for my considering the sale of my car, of course, is all the money I'll save. I am very excited about not having to pay $5.00 for a gallon of gas and not having to make car payments, insurance payments, parking storage fees, etc.

Now, as I go through this journey, I'd like to hear from you. Have you ever thought about selling your car? What was the defining factor for you that made you decide to keep it or sell it?

2 comments:

  1. What did it take for you to get rid of the car?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a good friend encouraged me to do it, but it took some time for me to get around to it. As I said in the post, I felt like I was dependent on having a car for a long time. I think I finally decided to get rid of it, though, when the cost of owning it had just become to much for me. Car payments, insurance, parking tickets, gasoline, upkeep, and the list goes on. It was just too much for me, so I sold it.

    ReplyDelete